May 7th 1909 - Papal Bible Institute in Rome
It had been planned already in 1902 by Pope Leo XIII. His successor, Pius X, accomplished it in 1909. The execution of that foundation was assigned to the Society of Jesus. Father Leopold Fonck was the first Rector and the soul of the whole development.
Pope Pius XI integrated the Bible Institute and the Oriental Institute within the Papal University Gregoriana, with the right to bestow the academic degrees, including the doctorate.
In the year 1927 in Jerusalem was opened a long planned branch institute. Both institutes experienced generous support by the popes. A majority of the professors for Bible science of the Catholic Church received the special training in the Biblicum.